REDUCING OUR ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT
We are committed to achieving a real and sustainable impact throughout the entire BDM operation and within the broader community in which we live and work.
We attach maximum importance to matters concerning the environment and are committed to continuous improvement in environmental performance and the prevention of pollution.
Our objective is to minimise the impact of our business activity on the environment wherever possible, and request that our staff, suppliers and clients do likewise.
Minimising Our Impact
We continually assess the environmental impact of our operations and through minimising the use of materials and resources; we reduce our wastage to the lowest practical level.
Our environmental objectives include:
- Assessing and using low energy systems where possible
- Using the most environmentally friendly modes of transport where possible
- Reducing our overall resources
- Minimising the use of paper in offices, including letters, correspondence and hard copy marketing
- Avoiding unnecessary business travel and using digital alternatives, including email, video-conferencing, phone calls
- Favouring environmental criteria when choosing services and goods
- Sourcing products in such a way as to minimise the impact their use and disposal has on the environment
The BDM Facility
BDM operates a modern insulated and energy efficient building in accordance with ISOK14001/BS8555 Environmental Standards.
All lighting, including the full warehouse ceiling, was converted to LED in January 2018, significantly reducing our carbon footprint and our total electricity use by over 40%.
The entire goods handling vehicle fleet is electric, with no gas or diesel trucks used in the operation.
Sustainable waste management is a primary part of BDM’s environmental waste management strategy: we strive to use sustainable packaging materials that are fully recyclable or that have zero impact on the environment, e.g. we use 100% compostable corn starch chips (an environmentally-sound alternative to polystyrene packing) to protect fragile objects during shipping.
We minimise waste, especially hazardous waste, and recycle materials whenever possible. We dispose of all waste through safe and responsible methods.
Through co-ordinating route planning and delivery schedules, we aim achieve to reduce fuel consumption and lower exhaust emissions.
Investment in a sustainable future
Through strategic planning we minimise the environmental effect of new developments and aim to include environmental considerations in investment decisions.